If you have a loved one, a relative, or a friend battling drug addiction, you might wonder how you can assist them. In reality, it is difficult to assist an addict and even convince them to seek treatment at a rehabilitation facility. That is because they might be struggling with mental health issues, and one might not see why they require inpatient drug abuse treatment.
However, it is critical to assist people battling serious drug addiction or alcohol issues by taking them to a rehab center. Below are the tips on how to convince a drug addict to visit a rehab center and the best way to choose the right facility.
Tips to help you convince a drug addict to visit an inpatient facility
You need to know that everyone faces unique situations, and you might not know how they can respond once you inform them of the idea of seeking professional treatment. It is advisable that you first establish trust, educate yourself regarding drug abuse treatment and respect their privacy before attempting to assist them.
- If you think you cannot control the situation, you can request help from another trusted individual. In particular, it can be a good option if you talk to an expert from a drug rehabilitation center to guide you on how you can handle a sensitive situation.
- Inform the addict about your feelings and let them know how painful you feel by seeing them that way. However, you should do that by avoiding playing blame games or criticizing them.
- Communicate with them so that you inform them regarding their addiction. A face-to-face conversation is one of the ways you can demonstrate that you are concerned and care for their welfare.
- Prepare to undergo challenges since a person with a substance use disorder might disagree that they have an issue. Also, it might feel uncomfortable for you to discuss an idea that is too personal, or they might fear the impact of losing their friends or jobs.
- Avoid threatening them or demonstrating that you are angered about their misusing drugs or overdrinking alcohol because you can worsen the situation. Therefore, you should be patient, kind, and gentle even if the situation is frustrating.
How can you choose the best inpatient drug rehab facility?
Determine if the facility has the resources that you need.
In most cases, people with substance-use disorders suffer from other clinical conditions, including chronic muscle pain, post-traumatic disorder, depression, and anxiety. Therefore, you need to confirm the site of the rehab centers or even contact them to know if they have provided the resources you require.
For instance, the treatment facility might specialize in trauma therapy or undertake a holistic approach when addressing chronic pain. Other centers focus on handling dual-diagnosis patients.
Ask if the rehabilitation program uses medication
If the person suffering from the substance-use disorder is looking for opioid addiction treatment, they might want to use prescription medication. That can help to treat drug dependence, reduce withdrawal symptoms and mitigate cravings.
Therefore, you need to confirm if the facility you want to visit provides such medication. Further, other facilities use the abstinence program when treating opioid addiction after detoxification and provide medications for co-occurring mental health disorders. Although most facilities provide detoxification services, not all use medication-assisted treatment in the entire recovery process. Therefore, you should look for a facility that provides the treatment approaches you think suit your disorder.
Find out if the facility uses science-backed treatment
You need to find out if the preferred facility provided scientifically-backed treatment. Scientific treatments include group therapy, trauma-informed, motivational incentives, dialectical behavioral and cognitive behavioral therapy. You also need to inquire if the treatment program offers personalized treatment to align with the patients’ individual needs. The factors that might affect the kind of approach to suit you include trauma, mental health history, the severity of substance abuse disorder, gender, cultural heritage, and age.
Assisting your loved one who is suffering from substance abuse addiction might be painful and problematic. However, by following the above guide, you can find the best facility that suits the needs and desires of the patient. If you wish to view more regarding substance abuse treatment, you look at the Infinite Recovery site.